Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Column in USAToday, today

Hey, grads, it's time to write new rules.
If you listen to conventional wisdom, it's a tough time to be graduating from college or getting your MBA: Unemployment is at a 25-year high and, according to experts, employers expect to hire 22% fewer graduates this year than last year.

Now that commencement season is upon us, I've been thinking about what I'd say to this group that's coming of age at a time of national questioning. I've drafted this all-purpose address as my answer to that challenge.

If you know a graduate, forward this on to him or her. If you're the one getting the diploma, carry it with you and read it at your ceremony instead of listening to that boring speaker who's still talking on stage:
(click here for the rest of the Column)

All Rights Reserved 2009 (c) Alan Webber, Rules Of Thumb