Monday, May 24, 2010

We Have Met Our Customers and They Are Thieves

I know it's hard to be in retail.

Especially in big cities.

In big box stores.

But really. Are all customers thieves? Or potential thieves?

I went into a pharmacy in San Francisco the other day looking for a simple tube of toothpaste.

Never mind the fact that a pharmacy is no longer a pharmacy. Now it's a grocery store. With more food items than health items.

I finally found the aisle with toothpaste.

And after a while I even found the toothpaste.

But it was locked behind a plastic box. To make sure I couldn't get any.

So I went looking again. This time for someone to help me.

I found a young woman stocking shelves. But she didn't have a key to the locked plastic box.

She called a young man who did. We walked back to the locked away toothpaste and he opened the box for me.

"People still this stuff?" I asked.

He made a gesture with his arm as if to sweep the whole container into his coat.

"They steal the whole box of it?" I asked.

He grinned.

"Do I look like a thief?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"Funny," I said. "Because your locked up toothpaste makes me feel like you think I'm a thief."

I took the toothpaste to pay for it.

There was a sign on the side of it warning anyone who tried to buy it on the street that it had probably been stolen.

I won't be shopping at that pharmacy again.

Apparently it's only there for thieves.

And I hate rubbing shoulders with thieves.

All Rights Reserved 2009 (c) Alan Webber, Rules Of Thumb